Monday, June 20, 2011

Why DeShawn Stevenson Got His Abe Lincoln Tattoo And Other Things You Wanted To Know About DeShawn

From Sports Radio Interviews:


DeShawn Stevenson joined 105.3 The Fan in Dallas with Josh, Elf and Arnie to discuss winning the championship, the best and worst parts about being DeShawn Stevenson, his arrest two nights after winning the championship, what he was thinking when all of that went down, how he obtained the "How Does My Dirk Taste?" T-shirt and his Abraham Lincoln tattoo.

When did you truly believe the Mavericks were going to win the championship?:
"I'd say when Jet got that tattoo. I didn't believe it, but when Jet got the tattoo and we was on a roll, we had a lot of starting people coming off the bench - Shawn Marion, he's a starter; Jason Terry, he's a starter; J.J. Barea, he's a starter. We had a lot of people coming off the bench and I just felt we were a powerhouse team."
What's the best thing about being DeShawn Stevenson?:
"I'd say being in Dallas and being with a team that has great fans. Some teams don't have fans like we have. They stuck with us and it's a great thing going out there playing, knowing you've got 20,000 behind your back."
What's the worst part?:
"The toughest part is I get stereotyped by all my tattoos and things like that. If you know me, I'm a great guy."
Do you want to clear up what happened with the quick arrest following winning the championship:
"People don't understand. I was going to a party with all of my friends in an apartment. I left. I'm walking down the street … and I guess because I have tattoos a cop told me to come here, asked me what I was doing. I told him what I was doing and he told me to go by the cop car. I'm thinking that he's going to ask me a couple questions and I'm going to go home. He comes, puts me in handcuffs and I go to jail for four hours. … I asked him what I was going to jail for and he said public intoxication."
Did he give you a Breathalyzer or anything?:
"This is the thing, I asked for it. I asked for the Breathalyzer and he wouldn't give it to me."
What was he thinking as he's sleeping on the floor in jail?:
"I really didn't think about that because I knew I didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes when you get put in bad situations, you think, ‘Why did I do that? Why was I driving drunk? Why did I have this? Why did I have that?' This is like, I'm walking down the street. Sometimes people stereotype you. I've been like that all my life. I think it makes you stronger and understand where you came from."
Where did the "How Does My Dirk Taste?" T-shirt come from?:
"After we won the championship, we was going to the locker room and I saw a guy with a shirt. We had the championship shirts and he wanted it. I said, ‘I'll switch out if you give me that one.' So we switched shirts. I didn't tell nobody I had it. The next day we woke up and I wore it on the plane and to the parade."
What's up with the 5-dollar bill tattoo on his neck?:
"I was going to get Martin Luther King and I told Gilbert Arenas. You should never tell nobody your idea. That summer, he came back and got it. So I didn't know who to get. I got Abraham Lincoln because he freed the slaves. I just had Abraham Lincoln and, from a distance, everybody kept saying, ‘Who is that?' So I put the five-dollar bill so everybody would stop asking me."

 Never thought me and DeShawn Stevenson would have so much in common. I knew the Mavericks were going to win when I found out Jason Terry got the Larry tatted up on his arm, cops always stereotype me as publicly intoxicated, and people are always stealing my tattoo ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment