Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Controversy


If you have turned into any entertainment news, blog, or even CNN 
lately you have heard of the Miss. America controversy surrounding
runner-up Miss. California, Carrie Prejean.

Prejean was asked my judge (and celebrity blogger Perez Hilton, who I love):
"“Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage.  Do you think every state should follow suit?  Why or why not? “

Carrie's much talked about answer that unanimously cost her the crown was,
“I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman.  No offense to anybody out there, but that’s how I was raised.”

What's the harm in this?
All Prejean did was state her personal opinion.
Would the judges rather have had her lie just to seal her deal on the crown?

We live in America. The crown was for MISS. AMERICA
Not Miss. Gay Rights 2009

I'm not saying whether or not I'm against gay marriage,
but I do believe that living in the United States gives you the automatic
right to Freedom of Speech.

Eminem can rap openly about nailing Sarah Palin
Plenty of novelists & writers have spoke openly about their negative feelings towards 
former President Bush.

There is no harm in having your own opinion.

I really do not feel that Prejean should have been stripped of the crown.
She was clearly far ahead in all other areas of the competition.
I still am kinda confused on why Perez was chosen as a judge for such a prestigious competition?
He is a celebrity-blogger, who just so happens to be gay.
It is his job to give his numerous strong, personal, and sometimes hurtful 
opinions and post them on his Internet site that gets nearly 200,000 hits a day.





Carrie reportedly said that she still feels like she won.
She still stands by her answer & knows that it likely cost her the crown.

""I did not want to offend anybody, but I think with that question specifically, it's not about being politically correct, for me it was being biblically correct, I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other ... same sex marriage or opposite marriage," then added, "I believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman ... that's how I was raised. Out of all the topics I studied up on, I dreaded that one. I prayed I would not be asked about gay marriage. If I had any other question, I know I would have won," she said in the Fox News interview."

Outside of Perez's beliefs most viewers were appalled by the outcome and some have
even chose to boycott future pageants.
She was slammed for supposedly "discriminating" against others,
but isn't that exactly what the judges were doing towards her?
Discriminating her for stating her personal beliefs.


No comments:

Post a Comment