Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Michael Franco






Its a true rarity in life to find someone who has been blessed with what it takes to make it in the fashion industry as either a model, a photographer, a stylist, a makeup artist, or an agent. It takes not only talent and originality, but also a strong backbone to be able to handle the inevitable rejection that comes along with the territory. It’s even more unlikely to find a person who has worked successfully in almost all areas of the business, but leave it to Michael Franco to defeat those odds.

Growing up Franco was always fascinated by the fashion industry. With the normal post-high school pressures of going to college and pinpointing a career path Michael decided he would take a safer path and go to school for photography, but he secretly had other plans in mind. 

Shortly after high school Franco moved out to Santa Barbara, California with plans to  attend a photography school because he knew his parents would never support his plan of moving all the way to Los Angeles just to become a male model. Soon after relocating he decided to ditch the idea of photography and found his way down to L.A. with determination to make it as a full-time model. Even though Franco was in the best shape of his life, life as a model in the highly-competitive L.A. market was not exactly easy.

“Of course I felt pressure,” Franco said. “Modeling is all about your looks. Your face, your body, your hair, your skin. Those are your ‘talents’. Especially in a big market like L.A. It was definitely a lot of pressure to kind of keep up with everyone else I was up against. It was a huge struggle.”

Franco continued to live his life traveling frequently between L.A. and Arizona for the next four years. He worked all types of jobs including runway, commercial work, editorials, and campaigns. 

“I would say my favorite part about modeling was being around creative minds,” Franco said. “I was always interested in imagery, even when I was young. I loved to be apart of the process to make a beautiful image. That was the best part to me. The industry itself was my dislike, the politics, and some of the shady characters in the industry.”

After noticing the impurities of the modeling world Franco’s mind quickly began to return to his original plan, a career in photography. 

“I always loved photography,” said Franco. “That was always my first love. After I was kind of over and done with my modeling days. It seemed like a natural transition for me.”

Although Franco did go out to California at first to pursue photography school, as of today at 25-years-old he remains entirely self-taught.

“I mean, I took photo classes in high school, but I never went to school in Santa Barbara,” Franco said. “I literally bought a camera one day and pressed every single button until I knew what it all did! I am still learning everyday.”

Those who are familiar with Franco’s work know that he is proficient in multiple ways both in front of and behind the camera. 

Valerie Gonzales, 20, has been a fan of the fashion industry for quite sometime. It comes as a natural hobby for her considering her best friend is a stylist and she has a few other friends who model. She attended Scottsdale Fashion Week this year and really appreciates original and unique high-fashion photography.

“I am familiar with Michael’s work,” Gonzales said. “I think he is a very talented photographer and I have a lot of respect for him. It amazes me that he hasn’t had any schooling, not to mention that he does all his own styling, makeup, hair and editing. Not to mention he is easy on the eyes”

Franco credits his areas of expertise to needing to be in control. “I feel like my work sets me apart from others because everything about the photograph is usually done by me,” Franco said. 

“I always do my own makeup and hair, which is rare for a photographer. I mean, there are a ton of of ‘photographers’ out there who own a nice camera and shoot hot chicks and call it art. But to me, beauty is my art. And when I’m taking a photo, everything about it has to be beautiful to me. Whether its something high fashion or just a random headshot. I always try  to bring out the beauty in people. Whether its with the makeup and hair, or just beautiful lighting.”

As a child Franco spent a lot of time painting. He relates his makeup obsession with his adolescent joy of painting faces. 

“While I was bored in school I kind of just sketched out faces that I saw in magazines and whatnot,” Franco said. “So I guess to me, someone’s face is sort of like a canvas. It’s never overwhelming for me. What would be overwhelming is if I had other makeup artists or hair stylists involved! I like to be involved 100 percent of every detail in my shoots.”

Models who have worked with Franco not only find love in his photography, but also enjoy his company. 

John Kolic, 21, a model signed with Agency Arizona said, “Michael was very professional, easy to work with, and he was also really great at making the models feel comfortable with himself and each other.”

Franco actually also helped jump start Kolic’s career and after their initial contact Franco had him signed with an agency the very next day.

Levi Workman, 20, began modeling around six months ago and was recommended to Franco for his first shoot after signing with S.I.M. Agency.

“At first I was a little worried because I knew he was gonna be taking provocative pictures of me, but once I got there he made me feel really comfortable and he even cut my hair,” Workman said. “It was the best hair cut I ever had. Then we started shooting. He gave me great tips and told me how to pose. The pictures turned out great. I still use a couple of them for my agency’s web site. He even invited me to a party afterwards where he made this girl kiss me and took pictures during our kiss like it was a real scandalous shoot for some fancy magazine. So all in all, I love Mikey!”

Perhaps the most significant accomplishment for Franco is his privilege of having the opportunity to photograph numerous celebrities, yet not even that makes him nervous.

“To me everyone is the same,” Franco said. “Whether they are famous or not! I come into the shoot with the same attitude. The person as my canvas and me as the artist.”

Franco has worked with Erin Tietsort from the reality show “Sunset Tan” as well as “Girlicious” singer and Chris Brown’s new rumored love interest Natalie Mejia.

There must be something in the Franco genes that entangles a passion for beauty, fashion, and talent. Both Franco’s cousin Bianca and his sister Theresa are models in the industry.

“Having family in the industry actually helps them out more than me!” Franco laughed. “No, but on a serious note it definitely doesn’t hurt.”

It is hard to pinpoint what exactly it is that actually inspires Franco. He explained that his motivation comes from all aspects of life.

“It’s hard to just say one thing that inspires me,” Franco said. “Lots of things. Sometimes I see a picture of an iconic figure and that will inspire me, a makeup and hair idea, or someone with an interesting look.”

He may derive influence from others, but it is definitely a two-way street. Arizona State University sophomore Maura Gaughan, 20, was introduced to Franco’s work somewhat recently and quickly felt an impulse to combine their behind the camera talents and document one of his shoots.

“I had this great idea for my videography class about using one of Michael’s shoots for my film project,” Gaughan said. “Once I saw his work I had my mind set on working with him. He has this remarkable way of making everyone look ultra sexy. We haven’t had the pleasure of working together yet, but one day...one day I am determined!”

Between his talent and undeniable charisma it is impossible not to fall in love with his work and him as well. The fact that he has perfectly tanned skin, chiseled cheek bones, and piercing blue eyes might also help that out.

Aside from his diverse abilities in the creative department Franco also described five    minor details that sum him up pretty well. 

“I can’t go a day without having an Iced Green Tea with a splash of half-and-half from Starbucks,” Franco said. “I’m addicted to my Blackberry, I’m deathly afraid of heights, when I was a kid I had a weird obsession with Bart Simpson, and my favorite color is black.”

When it comes to his future the bar is set far from low. Franco hopes to one day have his own makeup line as well as photograph someone iconic like Britney Spears or Madonna

“My goals for the future are that I just want more of the world to see my work and my vision,” says Franco.


No comments:

Post a Comment